Unfortunately we can’t escape the cold and it’s important to protect our four-legged friends from the low temperatures and from all the hazards typical of this season.
Please make sure your pets are protected from extreme temperatures particularly hairless breeds, very young pets, older pets and pets that are doing poorly for any reason. There are a few solutions for this problem that can be quite fashionable!
If you walk your dog on gritted roads or paths please make sure you wash any rock salt grit off your pet’s paws as soon as you get home. Rock salt can cause painful blisters and if ingested can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis.
There is also the possibility of your pet having contact with antifreeze which is very toxic as well.
Antifreeze poisoning in cats
Winter is not just the cold season. Winter is also the official antifreeze poisoning season. Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a substance that is extremely toxic for our pets and cats are particularly sensitive to its damaging effects.
The most common way for a cat to be in contact with antifreeze is when it leaks from a car’s engine into the ground. Cats that spend enough time outdoors during winter will often hide under cars for warmth and can easily find an antifreeze puddle. Cats are likely to drink it because it is usually the only liquid available (that is not frozen) in cold weather.
Clinical signs can occur between 30 minutes and 12 hours after ingestion and include wobbliness, uncoordinated appearance, shaking, seizures, weakness, increased breathing rate, increased urination or no urination at all.
Please be careful when storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant. If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze contact you vet immediately! Even a small amount of the substance can be fatal and the sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.
Wow – the white stones are clearly visible in Scooter’s Xray, leaving almost no room for any urine in her bladder!
JACK is very well known at the clinics, as he is owned by Becky our Vet Nurse….
Gibson lived on the streets all his life, scared of everyone, and living on handouts from cat friendly houses